EVE - NG / local server or cloud ?

CosminR

Hi guys,

Someone with experience using EVE-NG on cloudd ?
How is EVE-NG working on GCP ?

I am struggling between buying a server ( which I think would cost somewhere around $2K as I would receive at up to 128 GB ram, a good CPU, and 1-2 TB of SSD drives) , or just use GC for it.

What's the yearly cost of running eve-ng on GC if I'm running huge topologies with maybe up to 20-30  nodes?

• Like 1

Hello,

The options are server + plus Internet access cost + electricity cost  or a server in the Cloud:

Go for the Cloud server if you are meticoulous and can work on a tight schedule.

Cloud:

Little initial cost 

Monthly charges that can be expensive when increased memory and CPU is being used.

Server:

High initial costl

Server cost up to 2k in the US, increase monthly electrical bill and location to install the server.

In my case, I went with the server setup several years ago. For example, I worked on OSPF labs and examples for 2 months with another month to complete mastery of the subject.

If you are close or already have mastered the requirements, do the Cloud. Otherwise, spend the money on the server and when done, you can sell it or repurpose it for something else.

Cloud prices vary considerably based on options, vendor and when/where one purchase. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MadProf said:

Hello,

The options are server + plus Internet access cost + electricity cost  or a server in the Cloud:

Go for the Cloud server if you are meticoulous and can work on a tight schedule.

Cloud:

Little initial cost 

Monthly charges that can be expensive when increased memory and CPU is being used.

Server:

High initial costl

Server cost up to 2k in the US, increase monthly electrical bill and location to install the server.

In my case, I went with the server setup several years ago. For example, I worked on OSPF labs and examples for 2 months with another month to complete mastery of the subject.

If you are close or already have mastered the requirements, do the Cloud. Otherwise, spend the money on the server and when done, you can sell it or repurpose it for something else.

Cloud prices vary considerably based on options, vendor and when/where one purchase. Hope this helps.

Hi MadProf

can you give your server's specs as a suggestion. Also approximately what is the additional energy bill that you have because of server?

• Like 1

Manufacturer

Cisco Systems Inc

Model

R210-2121605W

CPU

12 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz

Memory

127.94 GB

Persistent Memory

0 B

Virtual flash

0 B used, 0 B capacity

This is the capacity for my server. It is a lot more than you will need to run CCIE lab.  You can similar servers on Ebay for example, this vendor will have a remade server with software installed at around 1.4k:

This is the hidden content, please

I am not suggest that this the best deal out there, you will need to do your own research before you make a purchase.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Hi, 

Thank you for your responses. 

For the moment I found the following set up on a DELL server : 

DELL PowerEdge R620
2 x Intel HEXA Core Xeon E5-2640 2.50 GHz
64GB DDR3 
4 x 450GB SAS, RAID PERC H710

Not sure if these 64RAM is enoghut, but I will test it and if needed I can add more in the future. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...