Discussion- Recommended server for CCIE EI. should I buy ?

Hi Guys,

I have been using asus laptop with 32gb ram, 256 gb ssd and 1 tb HDD. I have been thinking to purchase one refurbished server for lab purpose. Currently  I can run 10 VIOS-L3 nodes with 50-60 % CPU.  I am not planning to run DNAC o on that server. For SD-access , I will booking 4 hr lab from cisco.

Should I purchase refurbished server or should go ahead with my current workstation ?

Refurbished server specs:

DELL r620

128 gb ram , 1 tb ssd. 

2 x Quad Core Processors (Xeon E5-2620)

i am in the same position as you and i have the same thoughts.

the only thing i have to suggest you as i am also searching and trying to read and make the best choice is to change your cpu.

the xeon E5-2620 is

6-core and not 4-core as you said according to intel and can be installed as 2x only

This is the hidden content, please

take a look at the E5-4640 v2, (i do not know the price difference with yours)

10-core for the same TDP as your E5-2620 and same socket FCLGA2011. and it can be installed as 4x in a motherboard so you can expand in the future

it would be good if people who have servers suggest what they are using and what topologies they can run

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, mithr said:

i am in the same position as you and i have the same thoughts.

the only thing i have to suggest you as i am also searching and trying to read and make the best choice is to change your cpu.

the xeon E5-2620 is

6-core and not 4-core as you said according to intel and can be installed as 2x only

take a look at the E5-4640 v2, (i do not know the price difference with yours)

10-core for the same TDP as your E5-2620 and same socket FCLGA2011. and it can be installed as 4x in a motherboard so you can expand in the future

it would be good if people who have servers suggest what they are using and what topologies they can run

thanks a lot for the response. Look the link given below. price will be little bit lesser for sure.

below is the configuration I think should be sufficient in longer run too. This is the first time I am putting my nose into server setup so not much knowledge on this aspect

Refurbish Dell PowerEdge R620 Standard Rack Server with with 20 Core CPU Intel® Xeon®Processor E5-2670 v2 (2.40 GHz/10-core/25MB/115W)/ 128GB (16X8GB) PC3 DDR3 ECC Registered Server Memory /8 SFF/ 2 x 600GB 2.5-inch 10K RPM, 6Gbps SAS Hot Plug Enterprise Hard Drive / Dell PERC H310P RAID Controller (Raid 0,1,5) Support /2 PCIe Slots/ 4X1Gb Gigabit Network Lan Ports /Hot Plug| Hot Swap dual Dell 750W Power supply/ universal rail kits 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sylar90 said:

thanks a lot for the response. Look the link given below. price will be little bit lesser for sure.

Hidden Content

below is the configuration I think should be sufficient in longer run too. This is the first time I am putting my nose into server setup so not much knowledge on this aspect

Refurbish Dell PowerEdge R620 Standard Rack Server with with 20 Core CPU Intel® Xeon®Processor E5-2670 v2 (2.40 GHz/10-core/25MB/115W)/ 128GB (16X8GB) PC3 DDR3 ECC Registered Server Memory /8 SFF/ 2 x 600GB 2.5-inch 10K RPM, 6Gbps SAS Hot Plug Enterprise Hard Drive / Dell PERC H310P RAID Controller (Raid 0,1,5) Support /2 PCIe Slots/ 4X1Gb Gigabit Network Lan Ports /Hot Plug| Hot Swap dual Dell 750W Power supply/ universal rail kits 

i think for what it offers is expensive

approximately half price of what you have except the hard disk which is about 50$ for 1.2TB that you have in your offer

(just an example i have no relationship with the seller)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, mithr said:

i think for what it offers is expensive

approximately half price of what you have except the hard disk which is about 50$ for 1.2TB that you have in your offer

(just an example i have no relationship with the seller)

Thanks for the link. I will look in this price range on offline stores. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...