What is the best study material to use for CCIE Security?

afzee

Hi

I intending starting the journey to attain my CCIE Security. Can you please advise on which are the best resources to use ? I heard INE is good. Is there anything else?

Thanks 

Afzee

Start with Cisco books on the subject  and once you master them, INE will be a review.

Ciscopress books cover the material in depth, you need to join cisco support forums and learn how to find docs on the cisco site.

Eve-ng or GNS3 should be enough for most of the labs and I believe Cisco has rental labs for CCIE candidates if they have passed the CCIE Written.

For theory, INE bundle for CCIE security is massive but (as always) fails to cover some substantial portions - in favour of some time-consuming crap like two courses on Wireshark. Also, it's multi-instructor which is bad. Better than nothing, anyway, but don't expect it alone will prepare you for the exam.

For practice, I used Khawar Butt's workbook for v5, does not cover all the blueprint of course, but still useful. Do spend plenty of time building your own topologies and scenarios, especially with ISE and various integrations. CCIE Security is a very integration-heavy exam.

Cisco practice labs - I did not try them, but from what I saw on Youtube, they are not very useful unless you're unable to build your own topologies (e.g. in EVE-NG). They don't have the feel of the real exam which is multi-domain and very time-pressing.

For DNAC, I would not recommend chasing for the HW resources to deploy it locally, basically what you have to master for CCIE Sec is its intergration with ISE and TrustSec controls and also its northbound APIs. Both things can be studied with Cisco's demo installations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3