[REQUEST] Looking for people to rent high spec bare metal server in OVH to run labs

irq

Hello community,

I am looking for some people interested in renting together a bare metal sever in a hosting provider to run some certification labs.

The idea will be to get a fully managed bare metal server like this: Intel Xeon-E 2388G - 8c/16t - 3.2GHz/4.6GHz 128/256G 2xSSD NVMe

And run Ubuntu on it and some kind of hypervisor like KVM if needed. My particular aim is to run labs based in vagrant and libvirtd with automation on top but you could run any of your favourite simulation tools inside KVM (gns3 eveng..). We can share time easily, spacially if we live in different timezones.

The hosting company charges around $200/month. So we can split the bill. 

Let me know if anyone fancy the idea.

Ta

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, irq said:

Hello community,

I am looking for some people interested in renting together a bare metal sever in a hosting provider to run some certification labs.

The idea will be to get a fully managed bare metal server like this: Intel Xeon-E 2388G - 8c/16t - 3.2GHz/4.6GHz 128/256G 2xSSD NVMe

And run Ubuntu on it and some kind of hypervisor like KVM if needed. My particular aim is to run labs based in vagrant and libvirtd with automation on top but you could run any of your favourite simulation tools inside KVM (gns3 eveng..). We can share time easily, spacially if we live in different timezones.

The hosting company charges around $200/month. So we can split the bill. 

Let me know if anyone fancy the idea.

Ta

Hi

Please consider this comment only as a suggestion, I believe, you could find more affordable place for practicing Cert's Lab as you've said rather than OVH.

OVH is by far one of the best one in industry and for a long-time it's been running across the world, but for CCIE purpose you'd get engaged with cheaper one

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, hikaru said:

Hi

Please consider this comment only as a suggestion, I believe, you could find more affordable place for practicing Cert's Lab as you've said rather than OVH.

OVH is by far one of the best one in industry and for a long-time it's been running across the world, but for CCIE purpose you'd get engaged with cheaper one

Could you elaborate a little bit your response? 

• Cheaper one? Where? URL?
  • Other options? Which options?
  • Like 1

I need to renew my ccie rs in 1.5 years or so but.. DNA, SDWAN? Do they ask that (in depth ) in the exam now? If so, I'm growing old 🤣

Nowadays with things like nexus 9300v, vagrant and automation you can emulate plenty of stuff in a very scalable way and without the pain of graphical interfaces and proprietary solutions (yes, I know, mostly control plane but we there's always tradeoff in the virtual labs, we will never be able to have perfect emulations).

If you don't mind flirting with other vendors you have container based cEOS that cuts resource consumption in one order of magnitude at least. 

I'm just going to rent a beefy server becase my 32g laptop strugles with topolgies north of 10-15 devices. So answer to the question who is managing the server is 'me'. Probably would enable some coarse ring fencing between users with things like different SSDs or partitions. 

I am going to do it anyway, is just that it feel like is a waste of resources having it idle for 80% of the time. So is you or crypto mining 😭

@hikaru if you can suggest an alternative to OVH that would be great. they need to offer full management of the server and nested virtualization.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, toretto said:

Could you elaborate a little bit your response? 

• Cheaper one? Where? URL?
  • Other options? Which options?

Hi

Yes, of course, I'll do that.

First and foremost one is personal system which is not counted toward time and more prices.

McGahan (INE's founder) has introduced a site and  I did chat with them to verify their solution and price.

Let me check its name and announce here.

Other option could be giving a access to server (personal server) instead of paying this much.

Another option could be using personal PC/Laptop as many one here has been using through a EVE-NG .

Obviously there are plenty of cheaper site to host your scenario, OVH is well-known and as a consequence more expensive in compare with others.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hikaru said:

Hi

Yes, of course, I'll do that.

First and foremost one is personal system which is not counted toward time and more prices.

McGahan (INE's founder) has introduced a site and  I did chat with them to verify their solution and price.

Let me check its name and announce here.

Other option could be giving a access to server (personal server) instead of paying this much.

Another option could be using personal PC/Laptop as many one here has been using through a EVE-NG .

Obviously there are plenty of cheaper site to host your scenario, OVH is well-known and as a consequence more expensive in compare with others.

I check it about 1.5 years ago

This is the hidden content, please

At glance I found that price is little bit higher as you've mentioned

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

However, from my perspective , I believe, the main parts of CCIE's lab should be practiced by each candidates on their own, furthermore, for more and close to realistic , lab must be rented to practice all together.

But why monthly, why not hourly and you practice as you want!!!!it's more logical, isn't it!!!!

Hourly around 1.0 $ and acceptable server would be better than renting a month ! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, gulabjamun said:

@hikaru what about cloud my lab is it better than equinix for CCIE EI practice ?

should be tested at first for a hour just! then can be decided. However, I believe, have to ask their expert to be assured before any paying . why many here makes CCIE's Lab much more greater than its actual size, you want to run several routers, switches , appliances ,etc and practice different technology.

Is it more than this ? No !

Getting true images and licence is another problem and not really associate with this query.

Some sites simulate real one without need to be created by yourself.

But I personally prefer to practice each segment/sections in my own then mix together for high-scale and this is correct way.

If you can not redistribute correctly in one ASs as an example, how you expect it's working from other ASs as well?

So, you should practice at first with your system, any parts that be able to simulate ! If you can't do SD-WAN, DNA, ok , then switch to Server to practice this.

But let me inform you and anyone here why most of CCIEs holder do not have at least CCNP or even CCNA practical knowledge , I'll tell you .

Because they're just practicing DUMP and memorize it, If examiner/Lab's questions get changes , they couldn't solve it.

As a result, try to make and solve as many as you can scenario in your simulator(GNS3 , EVE-ng , ...) and not rely on this questions, they are perfect , but for a time that you're fully prepared, no workbooks and no training are remain that you're not practicing them two or three times.